Saturday, October 9, 2010

Out of Town Thrifting

Once a year I get the chance to visit family in Kentucky. Every year I make it a point to stop by Dairy Cheer, a local burger place and Sam's Hot Dog Stand for a few dogs topped with sauerkraut. This year I had one more addition to make to my list: Goodwill.

On Saturday morning, the boyfriend and I ventured over to the Goodwill after eating way too much at Shoney's (got to love the breakfast buffet!). As soon as we entered the shop, I noticed a big lack of furniture. It's not like we had any room to cart home any furniture, but it was disappointing to see one crappy looking dresser covered in stickers and nothing else.

The other thing I noticed was an abundance of clothing. Everywhere you looked there were racks of clothes. Right in front were racks and racks of women's and kid's clothing, with racks of men's clothing off to one side. I ventured into the back of the store where I noticed a few racks of knickknacks, but it was more than disappointing. Think plain glasses, chipped plates and the worst pots/pans you've ever seen at a yard sale.

The boyfriend was checking out men's clothes and he started rolling his eyes right off the bat. He pointed out a few shirts he owned during the late 80's/early 90's, mainly stained and ripped tee-shirts or Cosby-esque sweaters. A few shelves on that side contained Christmas stuff, but as much as I love Christmas, this was bad Christmas. Broken stuff, damaged stuff, stained stuff and in general, crappy stuff.

I did manage to pick up a few Baby-Sitters Club books that I didn't have (I run a blog recapping old young adult books from the 80s) for around $1.50, but that was it. We were in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes and I think that was too long. Oh well, at least I had something to read that night in the hotel!

On another note, it's been way too warm for Ohio in October and yard sales are popping up all over the place. The house down the street had a few random shelves and furniture laid out yesterday for sale. They added a bunch of vintage-looking Christmas stuff today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to swig by tomorrow and maybe pick up a few things!

No comments:

Post a Comment