Sunday, October 17, 2010

Apartment Picking

Once upon a time, I had a horrible neighbor. I’m not going to go into details, but suffice to say that when she was finally evicted (after something like six months of not paying rent!), we were more than a little excited. She called the landlord a few days after moving out and said the place just needed a quick clean and anything she left behind could be tossed/given away, she didn’t really care.

The landlord decided the best course of action was to let the neighbors go through the apartment and see if there was anything they wanted. Before I go any further, let my clarify by saying that there were only five apartments. We lived up above an old store.

So one day he comes over and unlocks the door. The BF and I went over and Oh. My. God. First of all, imagine a hoarder living in a two bedroom apartment and you’ll have some idea of what this place looked like. Every single room was stacked with piles of stuff: piles of clothes, piles of dishes, piles of beauty products and just random piles. Before moving out, she sold her couch, bedroom set and some other things, so she and her child were sleeping on the floor in carved out little nooks.

Then we had to deal with out neighbors. This was like an estate sale gone wild, but with free junk. Two people (a man and a woman) in particular were grabbing stuff and just throwing it in bags. It didn’t even matter if it was stuff they needed or wanted. The BF is kind of skinny and these two were decidedly…not. They kept grabbing clothes that he liked and throwing it in garbage bags of their own, but only when he commented on something.

I can kind of understand the kids clothes because they take care of a little boy and he could probably use the clothes. But come on, taking a size Medium/Large jacket, when the guy is….nowhere near a size Medium/Large? We decided to leave the bedrooms and just see what else was there.

I saw this really cool DVD rack that had I known she had, I would have offered to buy it from her earlier. I started to grab it and another neighbor popped up. “I already told my ex-girlfriend she could have that.” I reached for something else and then another thing and another…all were hers. Of course she hadn’t actually seen any of this stuff, but she wanted it for some reason.

We then ventured into the kitchen and found a Coleman cooler in really good shape that’s bigger than ours. We go camping fairly frequently in the summer and ours just isn’t big enough. Started to grab that, only to have yet another person turn up and claim it. Turns out that it was a guy who used to live in the building and one of the neighbors told him about the “free sale” so he just randomly showed up and started grabbing things. I explained why we needed it and he claimed that he needed it just as bad. The kicker came later when I found the lid in the dumpster downstairs! Yeah, he never came back and got it.

Once the neighbors left with their junk, we had the chance to do a little digging and find some stuff for ourselves. The BF found a lot of guy’s clothes buried, still with new tags and hats with the tags attached. We grabbed a cute little black wood shelf that needs a LOT of work and a huge plastic bookshelf for the pantry. Plus a shelf for over the toilet (just like one I lost pieces from during my last move) and for some reason, the BF grabbed a set of mismatched plates, even though I have enough for a small army.

The last thing we grabbed was this chippy bookshelf you see below. She had this stuck in her daughter’s room and I kind of liked it. The BF needed to put a nail in the bottom where the side was pulling away, but it’s heavy and in good shape. You can see way too much crap shoved on there right now, mainly because I haven’t set up shelves in any of our other rooms yet.



The funny thing is that we ended up moving into that apartment for almost a year after she moved out. The landlord asked us to move the bookshelf into our apartment because it was taking up too much room. The day after we moved it in, he asked us when we were moving into the other apartment. We ended up moving it into one apartment on one day and then moving it back two days later. Trust me, this one is heavier than it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment