Friday, October 15, 2010

Our New Chair






“There’s a bunch of stuff sitting outside on the side of the road,” the BF said casually the other night. “What do you mean, stuff?” I asked back. He looked confused for a minute, then kind of shrugged and said, “Stuff.”

When he opened the front door and pointed, the first thing that caught my eye was this chair. I told him I liked it and he asked if he should go over and get. I kind of hemmed and hawed for a minute and with a deep sigh, he took off across the street. A few minutes later he was back, carting the chair over his head. It was probably a good thing too because that was right about the time it started raining!

I’m not sure if the people moved out, were evicted or what happened. I can’t remember the last time I even saw anyone living there, but apparently someone decided to clean out the house a little because this and a whole other pile of trash was just sitting there.

We weren’t the only ones interested in the trash either! Some random guy drove up, parked in the middle of the street and started digging through the piles. He casually walked back to his truck when the BF ran over and pretended like he was leaving. As soon as he was gone, he ran back to the trash.

I asked the BF if anything else looked good and he said it seemed like a lot of old electronic stuff. I probably should have checked it out myself, but it was raining and getting dark. We ended up going to the store later and I almost smacked him when we drove by. Still left in the trash was a leather covered desk chair and an old fireplace mantle.

We’re renting an older house right now that has two (non-working) fireplaces: one in the living room and one in the kitchen. The one in the kitchen has a mantle, but the living room doesn’t have a mantle. He promised to go back in the morning and grab both if they were still there, but we both forgot that trash day was this morning and everything was gone.

Oddly enough, the guy we saw digging through the trash came back later in the night! We heard a truck drive down the road around 1 am and heard it idling. Opened the door and he was a block away, still grabbing stuff and sticking it in his truck. That takes some serious dedication.

As for the chair, I have no clue what we’ll do with it. I figured out how to get the padding/fabric off the frame and I’m thinking about reupholstering it. I kind of like the shape, but I strongly detest the hospital/doctor’s office fabric on it right now. For now I guess it’s best as a cat chair!

As soon as he brought it into the house, the two cats started sniffing it. The girl got bored, but the little boy is obsessed with it. Every time we turn around, he’s either laying on the top or sitting on the seat. Maybe we just found a free bed for him!

*Ignore the date on the photos. The BF can’t figure out how to adjust the date/time, so all of his photos are around three months behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment