Saturday, October 16, 2010

Vintage Industrial Pieces Blow My Mind!

I was reading an article the other day about vintage industrial pieces and how those pieces are making a comeback. It had some info on designers using real pieces and replica pieces in their designs. Then I searched through eBay and Etsy and found some cool stuff. What cracks me up is that I grew up with a lot of these pieces in my house!

My dad worked for a research group and whenever they remodeled the office and lab, they let the employees take home the older pieces. I remember him giving me this really sturdy, but ugly as heck, steel desk lamp that he used to have on his desk. I was pretty young, maybe 9 or 10, and wanted something cute, not ugly and heavy. I covered it in Lisa Frank stickers and abandoned it when I got older. That lamp is still sitting in their storage room today!

We also had several sets of the old metal bookends: the ones that just look like a big "L" and made from black metal. I remember that the bookends didn't work that well with paperback books. We also had an old rolling desk chair, with a metal frame and nubby green fabric from the 50s or 60s. I'm not sure if he brought that home from work or picked it up at an auction. I remember rolling it from one side of the room to the other and trying to make it all the way across.

I don't think I'd want to sell those pieces today. In fact, I'd just like to use them in and around my office. Maybe the next time I go "home", I'll have to dig through some boxes...

No comments:

Post a Comment