Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Wants

Whenever we go to a thrift store, the BF and I instantly head in opposite directions. You might think that I check out the clothes, being a girl and all, but that's all him. He can spend 30 minutes looking for clothes, while I circle the entire store. Usually I hit everything but the clothes and then circle back around to get him...and he's still in the clothing section.

My method is pretty simple: I start with the books, then head to kitchen, then on to the toy department and then over to the house stuff. If it's a store with a "special" case (damn you Salvation Army!), I stop by there last. I always have a few things in mind that I want and those things catch my eye. So, what exactly am I looking for?

(1) Teen/young adult books from the 80s-mid 90s. I actually have a blog where I recap Sweet Valley High, Fear Street, Christopher Pike and books of the same style. Once upon a time I had a good collection, but ended up selling the books or donating them, so now I'm trying to replace my collection.

(2) Anything Elvis. I've been a fan since my parents dragged me to Graceland as a teen, but the odds of finding anything at a thrift are slim to none. That doesn't keep me from looking though.

(3) Pink Aluminum. I only have a few aluminum pieces that I really like, namely an old cake holder that I have used before, a set of measuring cups that are missing one handle, a shaker style measuring cup and an ice cream scoop. I'm still secretly hoping to score a set of old aluminum cups, of any color. My grand-parents had a set when I was a kid, but those mysteriously disappeared.

(4) Vintage Tupperware. I not-so-secretly love Tupperware and have a fairly large collection, but rarely use it. I have the tall cups, bowls, coffee cups, a pickle holder, a steamer and other pieces. Not long after we started dating, the BF used one of the pieces to store some leftovers and I was shocked.

(5) Skull related decorations. The BF is kind of a bad ass, or at least looks like one and he loves skulls. Every time I hit a store or yard sale, I keep my eyes peeled for something for him.

(6) Halloween stuff. I have a confession to make: I love Halloween and I'm not afraid to pay retail for stuff I really, really like. Case in point: the multiple black cats staring at me in the living room and the Jason (Friday the 13th) head hanging from the door.

(7) "Mod." I was completely born in the wrong generation because I love Modern style furniture and home accessories. I have the world's ugliest chair (according to friends). It's covered in bright orange vinyl, but it has the slanted legs that I love oh-so-much. It was love at first sight and I never even asked the seller to work on a deal with me. I picked up an unbelievably odd glass bowl/platter at the Salvation Army not too long ago for $5. Most people would hate it, but I find the weird shape kind of interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment