Monday, October 25, 2010

Book Sale Time!

The local library was having its annual “Friends of the Library” book sale and I convinced the BF to go up there with me last week. I almost went on Thursday, when it was $5 admission, but decided to wait until Friday morning. Supposedly books were priced at $.50 for hardcovers and $.25 for paperback books, but that wasn’t necessarily true.

The book sale was in a little building that looked fairly disappointing from the outside. I went to one of these sales before and only purchased a few books, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Outside were several signs, saying that teen/young adult/kids books were $4 per bag, so I got a little more excited.

Immediately the BF got distracted by a stack of CDs priced at $.50 each. The sale had two different rooms. The first room was all fiction books and media. The back room was divided into two separate spaces. One space had “special” books that had individual price tags and the other side had non-fiction and kid books.

I filled one bag full of books for my other blog and had the BF pay for those, while I kept looking. One of the women working there had an eagle eye on everyone, making sure no one put the special books in the bags. She told us we could put anything from the back room in one of the bags, except for the special books, despite what the sale signs said.

I filled a second bag full of kid books, a few Peanuts books and a few cookbooks. I had that bag so full that they charged me for a single bag, but then broke it down into two bags! Up front where we paid though, they were sticking to the original signs and asking if you had anything non-kid related in your bags.

We ended up with two (technically three) bags full, four CDs, a few hardback books that didn’t fit into the bags and a few of the special edition books for $12. All told, I think I ended up with close to 100 books, including a ton of teen books. I also found the Esquire cookbook/party book from the 60’s and a book detailing the history of Disney and Mickey Mouse, plus a cookbook just on cooking for lunchboxes. That one deserves a post of its own!

I also grabbed a few books on architecture and historic preservation. I may not use my historic preservation degree anymore, but I love reading/learning about it. All of the books are now sitting in piles around the living room floor until we figure out what to do with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment