Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Worst Dollar General!

When we were in Kentucky, I picked up a copy of the local newspaper and after reading it, flipped through the ads. The store was advertising welcome mats, including an adorable one featuring a little black cat. Given that we have two black cats we raised from babies, I thought this was perfect for us. So off to Dollar General we went.

The first thing I noticed was the unbelievably ridiculous prices on movies. I'm talking $8 for movies that have been out for years and movies you can find anywhere else for half that price! Then I noticed the mass amount of Christmas decorations. Actually the store had two entire rows of Christmas decorations...in October.

So where were the Halloween decorations? Shoved willy-nilly on a few end caps. I was disappointed to learn that the store had two of the three designs available and was missing the black cat. I asked a worker, who told me that as far as she knew, the store never got the cat version. Sigh.

The BF did pick up a few packages of "creepy fabric". All the other stores had it for $3-4 a package, but Dollar General had it for $1. I grabbed a cat toy for $4 that I saw at another store. It's basically a cardboard box, with corrugated cardboard in the center. You sprinkle it with catnip and the cats are supposed to scratch it. Someone should tell our cats that.

Our little boy took one look at it and walked off. The BF sprinkled catnip over the top (as per the directions) and Freaky (our little guy) proceeded to rub his head all over the box. Dini (our little girl) then came up, pushed him away and started rubbing up on it. When he came back, she flopped down and wrapped her arms around the box.

After 5-10 minutes, they were done with it. Finally at around 6 am this morning, I heard a weird noise. I wandered downstairs to find her going to town on the box. Hopefully she can teach her brother how to use it. I'm a little tired of them constantly ripping apart my old wingback chair. Granted it's covered in orangish-yellow velvet and was given to me, but I'd still like to keep it.

We did swing by Big Lots on our way home and it was a much better experience. I snagged a Halloween kitchen set decorated with black cats for $3. It had an oven mitt, dishtowel and pot holder in the set. It's something we need since we haven't yet found ours after moving. I also grabbed a black cat soap dispenser for $3. The BF swears it's a lotion dispenser because that's what the tag says, but I've never once used one of these for lotion!

Lastly I grabbed a few horror movies. I have a blog reviewing horror movies and even though I have a ton, I just can't resist cheap ones. I picked up Pumpkinhead 3 and I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer for $3 each. I got those to go along with the four I got at Big Lots in Kentucky. I already watched one of them, which is progress for me. I still have movies I bought last Halloween that were never opened!

No comments:

Post a Comment