Wednesday, October 20, 2010

*Sigh*

So yesterday the BF and I decided to hit a few thrift stores, just for the fun of it. I know a lot of people say they avoid the shops early in the week because they're so picked over from the weekends. I didn't anticipate finding anything, so I thought it was a safe bet. Little did I know that I'd find too much and have no way to get it home!

We're currently driving my dad's car, as the Explorer bit the big one (really big one, as in costs more to fix it than to replace it!). The gas mileage is great, but it doesn't have a lot of room to store anything or bring anything home. As soon as we get there, the BF immediately goes for the clothes and I immediately head to the housewares. No Pyrex on this trip and no vintage Tupperware either. What's going on here?

Turns out that the Salvation Army completely cleaned out the toys section and replaced it with Halloween goodies. The toys were moved to the kitchen area and all/most of the cookware/dishes/misc. stuff was moved off the floor. Nice. I thought the Halloween stuff was pretty overpriced and a woman there definitely agreed. She was looking at a little pumpkin ceramic box and gasped. "I just bought this same one at Target for $2.99 and it had a lid. They want $2.99 here and it doesn't even have the damn lid!" I had to chuckle.

Since my usual areas were duds, I ventured into the furniture department. The green velvet couch we fell in love with a few weeks ago is sadly gone now, but they've gotten a lot of new donations. I found this awesome drafting desk for $8 that needed some work and a super cute MCM style nightstand/end table for $5 that needed more work than I could probably put into it.

Then I found this gorgeous 1950's light green dresser, made right next to where I used to live in Indiana! It was only $50 and in pretty good shape. Did I mention we don't have a dresser?

Actually we have two dressers (3 if you want to get technical). When we moved into our new place, we didn't have a dresser and with 3 closets, didn't think we needed one. Then I started thinking about where to store/display stuff in the bedroom (like the TV). I have a dresser at my parent's house that was my grandpa's and we always planned on picking it up from there, but then the car died. My dad found one at a yard sale pretty cheap that's similar to the one I have (it's around 6' long), but he has no way to get it to us and I haven't even seen it! I also have one from the 40s/50s that was given to me, but that's another story.

I also discovered three chairs that I immediately wanted to stuff in the back of the car. Two were these industrial style office chairs, with metal bases and green vinyl coverings, pretty similar to ones my dad used. Price tag? $4.99 each! Then there was the wardrobe chair from the 50s, with its own $4.99 tag.

The BF talked some sense into me, by pointing out that we have no room for any more chairs. True, but disappointing. On the way home, I realized that I need a desk chair and the wardrobe chair would have fit perfectly in the closet! I'd love to go back and grab them, but I'm sure they're long gone by now. I'll probably brood over those chairs until I find one at a yard sale lol.

On the way out, I got distracted by some dining room hutches that were a little too pricey for my tastes (over $200), when I heard a gasp. Usually when the BF gasps, it's over something stupid, like a skull tee-shirt or a bulldog statue. This time is was over a piece of furniture. An antique dresser from the 1920s (or even earlier). It still had the original mirror attached and all of the drawers opened easily. The original tag was $250, but it was half-priced. He was so in love with it that he was contemplating calling a friend and asking if we could borrow his truck! Don't get me wrong, it was a nice dresser, but I much preferred my cheaper and cooler version a few feet away.

Stay tuned for my next story! It's of a pricey thrift store that looks, smells and acts like a thrift store on the inside, but prices things like an antique store. Anyone for a $25 jadeite bowl?

No comments:

Post a Comment